U-Can International School, Entebbe, Uganda
School has Reopened
17th Oct. 2020
for In-Class Learning!
Our Program for 2020 – 2021 School Year
Primary: Grades 1 – 6
Junior Secondary: Grades 7 & 8
Senior Secondary: Grades 9 – 12
Early Years Ages 3 to 5
We are ready to help your child catch up with the classes lost due to lockdown! We have tutors available to assist.
In-School Classes Begin
October 17, 2020
We are now are running a full academic program in the classroom as well as our extra-curricular and outdoor learning components.
Quick Info about U-Can International School
Our In-Classroom Learning Program
Senior Secondary: Grades 9 to 12
Junior Secondary: Grades 7 & 8
Primary: Grades 1 to 8
Early Years: Ages 3 to 5
What is Our Program for the 2020-2021 School Year?
Our Learning Program has 3 parts
1. Morning classes 4 days per week with focus on academics (at school under MOE Guidelines)
2. Afternoon classes at school 4 days per week that center around arts, crafts, music, dance and sports.
3. One day per week at the Botanical Gardens outdoor education doing hands on projects that develop practical learning skills.
Due to Covid 19 there are restrictions on in school activities. Students are required to wear masks and practice social distancing.
We have arranged for our students to spend one day per week in the refreshing environment of the Botanical Gardens. Here they will be able to be in a more relaxing learning space in the wide open spaces of the gardens.
U-Can has made an arrangements with the management of the Botanical Gardens to look after and develop certain parts of the gardens. We have 4 exciting project ideas that we will implement with the older students.
- Maintain and develop the Rock Garden. The students will be planting flowers, redesigning the paths and building seating areas. They will do regular trimming and cleaning to keep the rock garden looking nice.
- Renovate and paint the toilets. The students will learn how to sand and paint concrete, wood and metal surfaces. They will learn how to repair holes in walls and floors.
- Develop the Pagoda into a Learning Centre. The pagoda in the nursery area of the gardens is a great place for students to find a quiet and sheltered area for doing various activities. Our students will learn how to design the Learning Centre and then they will be involved in all aspects to the renovation process.
- Install Rubbish Bins around the Gardens. The students will design, build and install rubbish bins so that visitors can dispose of the rubbish in a responsible manner.
We believe that our students will start to develop practical skills that will be of benefit to them for their entire lives. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to give us a call or better still to drop by for a visit.
Phone & WhatsApp
Principal – +256 774 993 433
Director – +256 772 773 378
Give us a call or contact us on WhatsApp – we would be happy to discuss with you how we can give your child a great education at an affordable price.
8:00 am to 5:00 pm Mon -Fri
8:00 am to 4:00 pm Sat
Plot 29, Mpigi Road
Message from the Director
The Covid 19 epidemic has presented some serious challenges for the education of our children. The closure of schools has made it difficult to provide ongoing learning opportunities for the children.
We are happy to announce that U-Can International School has been given a Certificate of Compliance by the government so that we could reopen the school on the 17th of October 2020.
We worked with the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Health to ensure that U-Can is a safe place for your child to do in-classroom learning.
This year we have an enhanced learning program that combines in-classroom learning with Outdoor and Project based learning. There are three components to our program.
- Focus on academic classes 4 days per week. These classes are in the morning hours when the children’s minds are fresh.
- Extra curricular classes in the afternoon 4 times per week. Music, dance, art, drama, crafts and sports
- Outdoor and Project Based learning one day per week. This learning will take place in the Botanical Gardens in Entebbe. Students will be able to develop practical skills by participating in four different projects that we will be doing at the gardens.
It is a privilege to teach your children and we believe that we can help them have a fulfilling and successful school year.
Call or WhatsApp me at +256 772 773 378
Visit our website: www.ucan.co.ug
Click on link below to download calendar
Fees & Charges 2020 - 2021
A Word About Fees During Covid 19
We have found that many of you are struggling to find a good affordable school program for your children during this time of uncertainty.
¨ We operate as an international school that caters to UN, NGOs and people working for other international entities. In some cases your organization has cut back on education allowances—please talk to us if you are finding it difficult at this time to meet the fee– we will try to accommodate your needs.
¨ Some of you are local business people who would like to see your children in school but the local program is not meeting your needs. We would like to discuss with you some financial assistance options that we have that can help you find a good learning experience for your child.
|3 Payment Options||One Payment
||3 Payments||7 Payments|
|Grades 1 & 2||$2,700||$900||$390|
|Grades 3 & 4||$2,850||$950||$410|
|Grades 5 & 6||$3,000||$1,000||$430|
|Grades 7 to 12 (New)||$3,375||$1,125||$485|
School Fees – All inclusive:
¨ Curriculum material, workbooks, school supplies & teaching aids
¨ Personalized Instruction as needed
¨ Outdoor Education & Projects costs
¨ IT specialist helping parents set up online learning for their children.
Registration & Placement Assessment Fee:
US $100 non-refundable – Payable when application form is submitted
School Uniform $30—includes shirt, shorts, skirt-shorts, sweater & socks
Sports Kit $15—Top & Shorts
School Fee Discounts
15% discount for 2nd or any additional child enrolled full-time in the school.
Downloadable Fees Document
Click on link below to download.
Our Aim, Our Focus & Our Core Beliefs
“To make learning such an enjoyable adventure that it becomes an exciting lifelong quest.”
We will enable our students to grow and mature through:
- teaching them to read with understanding
- developing their skills to write well.
- emphasizing basic math concepts and how they relate to daily life.
- inspiring curiosity and a thirst for knowledge with thought-provoking science and social studies lessons.
- enabling them to learn another language (French)
- exciting and creative extra curricular activities – drama, music, art, dance, crafts, and sports
- upholding high moral principles and building an inclusive family within our school and our community.
Creating A great Learning Experience
We believe that learning is a joyful lifelong adventure. By creating inquiry-based experiences and tools that spark wonder; offer hands-on experiences; and encourage questions, explorations, and individual discovery, we’re transforming the way people learn. Learning this way empowers children to figure things out for themselves—about science, math and daily life.
Our International Smart Curriculum focuses on building a great foundation based on discovery, understanding and critical thinking. A wide variety of extra-curricular activities encourages creativity for children to use their natural mental abilities to figure out the world around them and to have an inquiring mindset that focuses on discovery and investigation.
Contact Info & School Location
Welcome – call us, write us or come for a visit.
Office Hours: Mon – Fri. 8am – 5pm Sat. 9am – 12 noon
Talk To Us: +256 772 773 378 or +256 774 993 433
Email Us: email@example.com
Our Location: Plot 29 Mpigi Rd, Bugonga, Entebbe, Uganda
U-Can International School is located in Bugonga in Entebbe.
The school is right beside the Imperial Resort Beach Hotel.
Open Education Global Members
Founding Member Colleges and Universities
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- University of Michigan
- Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- City University of New York (CUNY)
- Community College Consortium for Open Educational Resources (CCCOER)
- Commonwealth of Learning (COL)
- Delft University of Technology
- African Virtual University
- Netease Open Courses
- Open Education France
- Open Education Japan
- Open University Netherlands
- Organisation internationale de la Francophonie
- Taiwan Open Course and Education Consortium (TOCEC)
- Tecnológico de Monterrey
- University of California, Irvine
- University of Michigan
Canadian Member Colleges and Universities
There are 210 member colleges, universities and K-12 schools who part of the Open Education Global network. Click on link below to see complete membership list.
U-Can is a Member of OEG (Open Education Global)
U-Can International School is part of an exciting 21st century education initiative that includes major universities and colleges around the world.
Open Education will transform the way children and adults learn in this digital age.
Open Education Global is a member-based, global, non-profit supporting the development and use of open education around the world to:
- expand access to education enabling every person on earth to access and contribute
- improve the quality of education
- make education more affordable
- improve student success
- foster collaboration and sharing through co-creation of education materials and the freedom to use, customize, improve and redistribute them
- generate pedagogical innovation using the collaborative, interactive culture of the Internet
- foster international partnerships and a global participatory culture of learning, creating, sharing and cooperation
OE Global member interests and needs are broad and diverse. Open education has a long history, particularly around providing education opportunities to those who may not typically have access. OE Global continues and builds on that tradition with a focus on new forms of open education enabled by digital technology, the Internet, and cultures of sharing.
Empowerment through education.
We envision a world where everyone, everywhere has access to the high-quality education and training they desire; where education is seen as an essential, shared, and collaborative social good.
Frequently Asked Questions - F A Q s
Registration & Fees
Yes, regular In-School Classes resumed 17th October 2020!
U-Can has set up the school according to MOH and MOE guidelines and has been issued a certificate of compliance by the Ministry of Education.
- Our academic classes are being taught in the classroom. Students are wearing masks and teachers are using face shields. Students desks are set apart at 1.5 meters.
- Extra-curricular activities like music, drama, art, crafts and sports are being conducted in a safe environment.
- Outdoor Project Based Learning is taking place at the Botanical Gardens one day per week.
U-Can work with students to design and implement Special learning projects.
Students from Gr 4 to Gr 9 will work on actual projects that are designed to include reading, writing, math and social cooperative skills.
Here are some suggested projects.
- Renovate shelter in nursery area in Botanical Gardens
- Design & print attractive visitor information guide for Botanical Gardens
- Implement a project to recycle plastic so that it can be put to a new use.
- Design a Student Learning Centre for Botanical Gardens
U-Can is following all the safety protocols that have been mandated by the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Education.
We have ongoing registration. We are able to accept your child when it is convenient for you.
- Signed Student Application Form
- Signed Medical Form
- $100 Application Fee
- Copy of the birth certificate or Copy of the passport or Identity Card
- Leaving school certificate/last school report from previous school
- Two passport sized photo of any individual who will be picking the child up from school
Application package can be picked up the school or downloaded from the Admission Menu
U-Can Fees are all inclusive. Tuition, school materials, extra curricular activities, lunch and swimming are included. There are no added or hidden costs.
Only the school bus is extra. Bus fares are dependent on location of the student’s home.
Elementary Curriculum K - 8
We use the International SMART Curriculum which incorporates the Understanding by Design® (UbD™) philosophy. UbD that focuses on ‘understanding’ rather than ‘memorizing’ information. This curriculum was developed to meet stringent Canadian educational learning outcomes.
U-Can has a wide variety of activities that take place in the afternoon.
- art & creative design
- outdoor learning
- trips to zoo and botanical gardens
- language study
International Assessment Standards used at U-Can
We administer 2 different Canadian Education Standards Assessments to determine if students are meeting the expected learning outcomes.
1. (EQAO) Education Quality and Accountability Office which assesses reading, writing, and math skills. Province of Ontario – Ministry of Ed. – administered in Grades 3, 6 & 8
2. (FSA) Foundation Skills Assessment in which students are tested on their reading, writing, and numeracy skills. Province of British Columbia Ministry of Ed. – administered in Grades 4, 7 & 8
Yes, the assessment done at U-Can are very extensive and provide a very comprehensive report that can be used to enroll in another school.
Seconday Curriculum Grade 9 - 12
U-Can International School is a partner school to Virtual High School in Bayfield, Ontario. This means that U-Can uses the official curriculum of the province of Ontario in Canada. In essence we are offering a fully recognized Canadian program here in Uganda.
This has many advantages. Upon successful completion of the Ontario Ministry of Education OSSD diploma your child is eligible to enter any university or college of their choice in North America or Europe.
Ontario Ministry of Education Secondary Curriculum
The Ontario Curriculum for secondary students has designated curriculum documents for the following areas:
- The Arts
- Business Studies
- Canadian and World Studies
- Classical Studies and International Languages
- Computer Studies
- Guidance and Career Education
- Health and Physical Education
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- Native Studies
- Social Sciences and Humanities
- Technological Education
Example learning expectation:
Here is an example of a specific learning expectation for a Grade 11 Mathematics course (Functions MCR3U):
“By the end of this course students will: determine, through investigation, how sinusoidal functions can be used to model periodic phenomena that do not involve angles
Sample problem: Investigate, using graphing technology in degree mode, and explain how the function h(t) = 5sin(30(t + 3)) approximately models the relationship between the height and the time of day for a tide with an amplitude of 5 m, if high tide is at midnight.”
What is the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD)?
The Ontario Secondary School Diploma is a diploma granted to secondary school graduates in the Canadian province of Ontario. It is part of the publicly funded province-wide school system. It is awarded to all students who complete the Ontario education curriculum, including students in Special Education, the TOPS program, MaCS program, IB Program, and other focused secondary school programs.
The Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD), is a diploma that is recognized by universities around the world for direct admission. From Grades 9-12, students follow academic credit courses leading to the OSSD. The Ontario Minister of Education, on the recommendation of the Principal, awards the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) to a student who has earned a minimum of 110 hours of instruction.
Yes, there are a number of options that we have available to assist your child when the have attained the OSSD diploma.
- Official transcripts can be forwarded to the college or university of choice.
- We work with the OUAC. The Ontario Universities’ Application Centre is a non-profit organization based in Guelph that processes online applications for admission to universities in Ontario, Canada. This organization works closely with accredited schools like U-Can to help students from abroad enter a university in Ontario. There are 22 universities in Ontario
- We also work with the OCAS. The Ontario College Application Service is a non-profit corporation created by the Colleges of Applied Arts and Technology and Institutes of Technology and Advanced Learning in the province of Ontario, Canada. There are 24 colleges in the province of Ontario as well as many technical schools.
- U-Can and Virtual High School will provide assistance to your child if he/she applies to any educational institution in Canada.
Achieving Excellence –
The Ontario Government’s vision for education (Government of Ontario, 2014) – was developed by policymakers working with individuals and organisations across the province (parents and students, teachers, support staff, school and system leaders, individuals outside the education sector, businesses and non-profit organisations) to ‘renew’ the vision for education in Ontario and ensure that it is future-focused.
The aim was to ensure that those leaving high school in Ontario are prepared for today’s increasingly competitive, globally connected and technologically engaged world.
The vision seeks to ensure the success and well-being of every student and child, and that learners in the province’s education system develop the knowledge, skills and characteristics that will lead them to become personally successful, economically productive and actively engaged citizens. It is based on four interconnected goals for education which are:
■ Achieving excellence: ensuring that children and students of all ages achieve high levels of academic performance, acquire valuable skills and demonstrate good citizenship.
■ Ensuring equity: all children and students are inspired to reach their full potential, with access to rich learning experiences that begin at birth and continue into adulthood.
■ Promoting well-being: all children and students develop enhanced mental and physical health, a positive sense of self and belonging, and the skills to make positive choices.
■ Enhancing public confidence: Ontarians continue to have confidence in a publicly funded education system that helps develop new generations of confident, capable and caring citizens.Achieving Excellence aims further to:
. ■ uncover and develop the potential of all learners
. ■ reveal learners’ hidden gifts and spark new passions for future careers
. ■ develop compassionate and actively engaged citizens who graduate f rom high school equipped for the technology-driven, globalised world and who are well-rounded individuals with strong basic skills complemented by the critical thinking skills, imagination and resilience to excel in – and create – the new jobs of tomorrow.